The girls were gifted Ugly Dolls from a dear friend, but only one of the dolls were pink. So eventually, the girls fought over the pink one, and they decided that we should sew new dolls (with pink fabric, of course).
Each girl chose her fabric, eye color, and embroidery thread color. I drew a pattern based on their wishes (long ears, arms raised up) and both girls decided to use the same pattern. I sewed C’s eyes, but M did hers all by herself (with a lot of encouragement). C wanted to sew too, so I gave her a hoop with knit fabric, yarn, and my biggest darning needle for her to sew; she was happy and proud too! They drew the smiles with a fabric marker, and I traced it with a zig-zag stitch. Then I finished the sewing and they did most of the stuffing.
They are so proud of their creations! (And I’m glad that they are “ugly” — an easy project with no stress on my part for looking perfect!)
…and now, drumroll…pictures of the process!
(C with her doll and the original pink Ugly Doll, the inspiration.)